Friday, May 09, 2008

State Wrestling Tournament

I lied! I said it was on Saturday but I meant today. I get my days confused all the time because I never leave the house.

So today was the day. We started off on a bad note when Jake woke up at 5am and couldn't go back to sleep. Because wrestling tournaments go ALL DAY LONG, I knew he'd be wiped out by noon.

His first match was against a tough little guy that beats him every time. They've wrestled each other twice in the past. The first tournament, he pinned Jake in 11 seconds. That was Jake's first bout ever, back in March. The second time, he pinned Jake in 7 seconds and that was just a couple weeks ago. Needless to say, we weren't expecting much out of this first match today.

But Jake surprised us all by coming out of the gate like a tornado. He wrestled fast and furious, the best he'd done all season. Darrin and I were freaking out on the sidelines. Such a proud moment. Towards the end, the other kid threw Jake down pretty hard and Jake cried. He didn't want to finish the match but we convinced him to continue. He ended up losing in the end but he never got pinned. He fought so hard and we were all so proud of him.

Here are some pictures of Jake's first match were he fought so hard.

Check out his attack stance! (He's on the right)



Smiling because we cheering so loud!



It took hours for him to be called for his second match. I'm his mom so I can make excuses for him. He was exhausted and had already had an emotional day. So when he started wrestling for the second time and got his arm twisted, he couldn't recover. After several attempts to get him back out there, he ended up forfeiting the match. Because it was double elimination, he was out of the tournament. I was sad that his season had to end that way but I was glad to be calling it a day and heading home.


2 comments:

Tracer121 said...

I don't think anyone realizes just how long the days are until they go through it. Remember our first meet, way back in the day at Bartlett? That day sucked! Caleb didn't win a macth last year and he got 1st this year. Jakey will be an animal before you know it!

The Matthew Family Est. 2005 said...

awe he's so cute! love the pic of him talking to Daddy:) awe Jakey!