Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sledding and Love Language

 When you are in a marriage, you learn a lot about love languages.  Love languages are the things a person needs to hear or have done in order to feel loved.  One person feels loved because of A. and the other may prefer B.  It is a concept that is critical to figure out early on, in my opinion. 

The concept of love language doesn’t only apply to marriage of course.  It applies to all relationships, including those with our children.  It occurred to me recently that I may not be doing all I can to make sure that my kids know that I love them.  I tell them.  I hug and snuggle them, but those are my love languages, words of affirmation and physical touch.  My oldest son, Jaycob, HATES hugs and kisses.  So when I’m trying to express my love to him, he actually feels repelled.  So what is his love language?  How can I make sure he feels loved by me?

Based on what I know about him and a discussion we recently had, we decided that his love language is quality time.  But, like his father, it has to be on HIS terms.  He doesn’t want to spend time with me doing what I want to do.  He wants me hanging out doing what he wants to do.  

This is incredibly hard for me because I don’t like to “play.”  I don’t enjoy toys or kid games, I don’t like to run around and play tag or go outside in the snow.  He loves all those things and wants me to participate.  

I need to participate so that my son can be confident that I love him.  Especially since I have to dish out a lot of discipline to him.  He really needs me to express love.  His way.

 So he asked me to go outside and play in the snow.  I hate playing in the snow.  But I did it for him because I love him.  Have I mentioned that I love my son?

Bonus: I got fun photos.

 This is the middle of the street.  Do you see how high the snow berms are?


 This is Josh standing on top of the snow pile in the middle of our col de sac.  Why is it called that anyway?

 It’s a great sled hill!




 










 
 I think that’s a thumbs up but he’s wearing his dad’s gloves, so I can’t be sure.

 Snow princess


After dinner, Jake asked me to play Uno.  The thing about this kid is that he is brilliant.  He knows what I’m trying to do and he’s milking it so hard!  I’m going to end up playing Battle Ship this week, I just know it.  

No comments: