Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Halloweenies

Because Halloween fell on a Sunday this year and we have church on Sunday evenings, we weren't sure if we were going to go trick or treating. Darrin called an audible last minute though and we geared up and got out there. We weren't the first ones out either which surprised me. It was 27 degrees so we only hoofed it around the block and came home. We still managed to get quite a haul.


My kids were hilarious as always. After repeated reminders to say, "trick or treat!" and "thank you," Josh started saying, "trick or treat" and then turning to us (usually standing way out on the street) and yelling, "I said it!" Darrin would toss out a thumbs up and I'd remind him to say thank you. Rinse and repeat, over and over.



Because we were out early, many houses weren't prepared yet and either didn't answer the door or handed out popcorn. At one house we could hear a dog barking but nobody came to the door so Darrin and I called the kids back. Suddenly the door opened and an elderly lady came out with a bowl of candy. Jordan went running back up the porch hollering, "You took FOREVER!" The lady laughed and told them she was putting up her dog.

So at the next few houses, when people didn't answer the door right away Jake would assure us that they were coming, they were just "hanging up their dogs first."

At one of the last houses a man and his daughter answered the door and though I couldn't quite hear the conversation from my position out on the street, I distinctly heard Jordan say something about being able to smell something inside their house. I never did get a chance to ask her what she smelled. I could only hope she was discussing a good smell and not a nasty dog pee smell or something.


After church I let the kids stay in their costumes and help me pass out candy to the late crowd of trick or treaters. At first they were into it but they soon got distracted by other entertainments. It got to the point that I would answer the door and one of them would inevitably moan, "NOT AGAIN!" Or Jake would look at the costumed person on our porch and ask, derisively, "what are you supposed to be?"

If I hadn't been laughing so hard I would have pushed them all down the stairs to shut them up.

No comments: