Friday, December 03, 2010

A Moment

My #reverb10 prompt for today is all about a moment. Specifically a moment that made me feel alive this year.

As a photographer, it is my duty to find and capture the moments that happen whenever I'm spending an hour or so with my clients. I keep one eye to my camera and try to stay attuned to the people I'm with, waiting for those little moments, those special interactions between families, new parents, or young siblings. Clients tell me all the time that my ability (and Tracy's) to freeze a special moment in time is what makes our photographs so special and what makes people invite us to come spend time photographing them.

So why is it, if I'm so in tune to moments, that I had such a difficult time pin pointing that one single moment that stood out head and shoulders above the rest in my own life this past year? I think it was because I was aiming too high. I was trying to think of some fireworks event that blew me away and there really wasn't one this year. I didn't give birth, get married, climb Mt. Everest, or sky dive this year.

What I did have though, was a whole year full of little moments that didn't necessarily blow me away, but instead, quietly took my breath away. Listening to Jake read, hearing Jordan sing to Jesus in her bed at night, watching Joshy color so diligently and perfectly, observing my husband playing with his kids and snuggling my babies on the couch when they finally stop running around like crazy headless chickens. All these moments are a blessing to me and they humble me.

And a good, loving mother would have picked one of those moments to write about.

But I didn't because this, THIS was the moment (event) that made me feel ALIVE this year!



The Arctic Thunder Air Show.

My first air show experience. It smelled like hot asphalt, exhaust, popcorn and sweaty people. It sounded like Armageddon. I could not take my eyes off of any of it and I didn't want it to ever end. Even still, whenever I see the F22 fighter jets out doing exercises over Elmendorf AFB, I stop what I'm doing and just watch and listen. On those rare occasions when I venture on base (usually for a photo shoot) and I drive past the F22 hangar, my adrenaline spikes and I have to make a conscious effort not to bounce in my seat.

GAH! I'm getting pumped up just writing about it! WOOOOOT!!

No comments: