Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Never Say Never

Every Monday night, my friends and I go out to a movie. Roughly two thirds of the movies we see are worthless, boring, stupid and/or a complete waste of time. It goes without saying in our group, that it doesn’t matter if the movie looks dumb, chances are that it will be, but the point of movie madness night is getting out of the house and hanging with each other.

Which is why, despite my complete and utter not-wanting-ness, I found myself seated between my besties, 3D glasses perched upon my nose, preparing to watch the newest teeny bopper sensation in his documentary style movie debut. That’s right. We saw Justin Bieber in Never Say Never. In 3D.



Now, I’d heard of Justin before. Saw him on Saturday Night Live last week in fact. But I couldn’t tell you what songs he sang or where he came from. Being cynical as I often am, I took a moment to wax philosophical to my ladies about the chances of this kid (who is described as a good, moral, inspiring Christian boy who is just out there to make people happy) NOT being in rehab for something within the next three years.

Britney made me jaded.

So the movie begins and it’s home video footage of the cutest little nugget you have ever seen in your life talking in his precious little three year old boy voice about wanting to be a crossing guard when he grows up. Then he starts drumming on a chair. I mean, drumming with rhythm.

Some things about me. I ADORE cute little boys (because I have two of them) and I ADORE drummers. I think you can see where this is going.

Two hours (or so) later I’m sitting in the theater, wanting to stick Justin Bieber in my pocket so I can carry him around and keep him safe from crazy people and make sure he eats lots of fruits and vegetables. I actually prayed, PRAYED that he would be protected from the inevitable. That he wouldn’t get sucked into the maelstrom of fame and excess.

I think today is his birthday and he turned 17. And he’s still just the cutest, sweetest little nugget I’ve ever seen and I still want to stick him in my pocket.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Do you have the fever? I'm thinking you at least have some symptoms if you know his birthday...

Drummers {SWOOOOOON}

Unknown said...

I wouldn’t say I have the FEVER, just some mild congestion. :) I knew it was his birthday because my husband is a the high school girls basketball coach, so...I hear things.

Cheri-Beri said...

My daughter has had Beiber fever for quite some time. She saw the movie and is more in love with him than ever. I, too, pray he will be able to maneuver the minefields he's going to be presented with. Considering he went on a private yacht vacation with his 18 year old girlfried a few weeks back, I'm not holding my breath :-(

J and B said...

Unfortunately rumor has it he has already been "spoiled." He's not very nice to his mama, know matter how fantastic his hair is.