Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Ridiculous Amount of Cute


My daughter neglected to inherit my naturally curly hair. A fact for which I am eternally grateful and for which she is, at times, sort of disappointed. Now that her hair is ridiculously long (I can’t cut it, I waited a REALLY long time for my bald baby girl to get hair) I got it in my head that maybe it would be cute to put up in curlers one day. The idea came and went, mostly because I never owned curlers (natural, remember? *head toss*).

During a recent shopping trip to Fred Meyer though, I visited the hair care aisle for hair bands and right there in front of me, actually down at the bottom of the shelf tucked behind some hair dryers, was a package of colorful sponge rollers.

Let’s do this.

My intention was to do it for Easter. Special occasion and all that, but then I thought I might want to do a trial run, say on a Wednesday, and after a week of begging (she spotted them last week and has been DYING ever since) I finally relented last night. You might notice that the curlers are all different sizes and colors. Remember this fact, I’ll explain in a sec...



At first I was meticulous and careful. I perfectly parted a section down the center of her head and proceeded to wrap, roll, clip, repeat. Then I got bored and started going willy nilly.


Okay, seriously? This is a ridiculous amount of cute.

I was a little concerned when she woke up this morning and the curlers where dangling every which way. When I removed them, all I could do was giggle because the curls just sproinged right back against her head. Well, most of them anyway. The larger ones near her neck fell in perfect little ringlets down her back. I smoothed each frizzy little curl with some smoothing cream (of which I have a plethora, natural, remember?) and pretty soon I’d managed to assemble the chaos into some bit of order.

A little top knot to get the fro off her face, clip in a bow and well, shut up, right?



About the roller size and color:

The smaller the roller, the smaller and tighter the curl. Those little ones around her face where impossible to smooth out. They just balled back up against her skull. The curl cream helped but I will definitely be sticking with the larger curlers all over next time.

I realize that this may seem obvious to most, but you must realize, I have never before touched a sponge roller IN MY LIFE. Natural, remember?

2 comments:

Polarbelle said...

Love it, Rach, and I bet Jordy loves having hair like Mommy today. I might try this sometime myself. My hair is curly but one side a lot curlier than the other, which is why I hate to go natural, plus wouldntcha know, the hubby prefers straight. Anyway, lovely blog entry.

Kaycee said...

As a stick-straighter, I can attest- there is never a need for the smallest rollers. They just make brillo. But the giant ones hardly do any good- they make big "S"s. Best to buy two or three packs and pull out all the mediums. Jordan looks adorable!