Sunday, August 07, 2011

Campalicious



You mayhap recall I story I told in an earlier post about our RV, Rory and all his many maladies and general shortcomings. Not that any of that has stopped us from utilizing him this summer. His mysterious upper bunk flooding problem was solved by copious amounts of caulking over several days while we waited for it to rain so that we could test our patch jobs. Each new patch DID NOT fix the problem and it wasn’t until Hubby practically coated the entire roof that the leaking stopped. This was a two week long process which probably could have been shortened to a couple of days if we’d thought sooner about doing a hose test instead of rain test...

Rory’s other issue consisted of a complete and utter lack of refrigeration. We bought Rory several years ago and I’m pretty sure the refrigerator went out on the second camping trip we ever took. So we became cooler people. I mean cooler as in, little store bought box that keeps food cold, not cooler as in “heeeeeyyy” like Fanzi. Though, we are also cool like that. So for a few years we packed our little red cooler on camping trips. Or we didn’t go camping at all because camping in a flooded motor home with no refrigerator kinda bites.

One day over this summer, while I was with my parents in Seattle for a visit, I got to talking about Rory and his issues. My mom then told me about a guy (who was from Alaska, weird) that they’d met in Arizona who had a small chest freezer that he set outside his camper and plugged in to the hookups. I’m pretty sure I heard the Hallelujah Chorus as I considered the possibilities.

Fast forward to July and you find Hubby outside in Rory, ripping the old refrigerator out. It was big and heavy and unwieldy (and it’s still sitting in our yard because we’re totally awesome like that). The space it left is gaping and dripping with dirty insulation but it’s ready. And waiting.

A couple more weeks pass and the family and I are loaded up in Rory, heading out for some camping and stopping at Fred Meyer for some ice for the stupid cooler. As we all walked into the store, there right in front was a display of mini-refrigerators for offices and such, on clearance. When I say there was a display I mean there was only one left. Cue Hallelujah Chorus again.

We installed it in the Fred Meyer parking lot. Awesome sauce.

In typical Powers fashion though, there were issues. We had no hookups at our campsite so we tried running the new refrigerator off the house battery which kept frying fuses and tripping breakers. We didn’t have the stuff we needed to run it off propane either. But hubby did some Macgyver tricks by cutting an extension cord with a box knife and fandangled some weird wiring situation and suddenly the thing was running off of our generator. Suh-weet.

Anyway, we went camping, the weather was awesome, we biked, we swam, I EVEN SWAM and I don’t do that very often. We canoed, we rafted on our Airbed using a battle ax for an oar. It was a good couple of days. I think I took a couple of pictures.



Airbed boat with Battle Ax oar.


Bugaroo swimming across the lake with her arm floaties on.





Towing


The boys taking the Airbed boat out for a cruise.


It was a pretty good oar, even with the holes.

No comments: