Saturday, September 03, 2011

Cork Pin Board

Have you ever heard of Pinterest? Pinterest is the biggest housewife time-suck (next to Facebook) on the planet. It is a place for aspiring decorators, chefs, gardeners, crafters, etc...to go and pin up all the things on the internet that inspire them.  The joke is, that we are spending so much time pinning that we aren’t actually accomplishing any of these fabulous aspirations. Guilty!

Well, I’m stopping the cycle.

 I, my friends, am actually going to DO one of the organizational DIY projects that I found online and pinned to one of my Pinterest Pinboards. I am actually going to make a real life Pin Board inside one of my kitchen cabinets to house all my (six) loose recipes. I’m no cook by the way, so there really are only six that I actually ever make and need recipes for. Perhaps another person would pin grocery lists or magazine clippings. Whatever, do you what you want. I care not.
First, allow me to give you a gander and my Pinterest board collection, to give you an idea of all the things I am not accomplishing on any given day.
Pretty isn’t it? And that’s not even all of my boards. Couldn’t fit them all in one screenshot. If you want to see the rest, click on the red banner on the right that says, “follow me on Pinterest.” I am awesome by the way.

 So, on to the project. I can think of many ways to accomplish this project, but this is how I did it. I started by creating cute little recipe cards on my computer from all the piles of paper I had stuffed into my upper cabinet. I printed them on card stock, and cut them apart with my handy dandy paper trimmer.
I purchased a sheet of cork from Joann’s Craft Store for $3.59. It was more than I needed so I cut it down to 10x12 to fit my little cabinet door. I scored it first with my paper trimmer so the line would be straight, then used my craft knife to finish the job.
It is my understanding that you can purchase a package of cork squares from Target for about $5 and they are self-adhesive. My Target didn’t have any. That’s because I live in Alaska and you can never find anything you need here. Unless it’s fishing equipment. I had to figure out a way to adhere the cork to the door all by myself.

 So I went to Walmart and bought double sided tape. And cute push pins. Actually, I went to Walmart to buy these things and made it out with push pins and a whole lot of other crap, but forgot the double sided tape. Quick stop at Fred Meyer and I’m rolling once again.
I applied the double sided tape to the back of my cork piece. Or maybe it was the front. I really couldn’t tell. Then I pressed it firmly onto the cabinet door. I even used a level because I’m that awesome.

Push pins - @ The Office - $1.68 at Walmart
Double Sided Tape - Scotch - $3.99 at Fred Meyer

Then I arranged my very important recipe cards with my very cute push pins.
Then I stared at it and decided it needed something else. Like a dumb scrap paper flower.
Ah yes. SO DUMB! But hurray for cleaning out loads of nasty scrap paper from my upper cabinet.


3 comments:

Cheri-Beri said...

I just blogged about my awesome cupboard door organization system.

http://whatisitnow1.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/not-exactly-classy/

Polarbelle said...

that's awesome, Rachelle. You are so flipping creative. Come fix my whole house. :)

Raychel said...

Way to go!! Look at you putting some pinterest pins to work. Looks good. Can't wait to see it in person!