Tuesday, May 24, 2011

An Impromptu Photo Session



This past weekend Tracy and I had a photo shoot scheduled at Point Woronzof at the tip of the airport runway, on the beach. We’d never shot there before and while I’d been there once and knew generally what it looked like, I wanted to spend some time there and really scope it out at the same time of day that our shoot was scheduled. So I dolled up my babies, drove to the point and spent nearly two hours shooting, bribing and begging them to smile and/or look at the camera. There is nothing harder for a photographer than taking pictures of their own children. But we obviously had a wonderfully successful day.


View Larger Map

If you look on the map, Point Woronzof is at the tip of the peninsula that is home to the city of Anchorage. The grey area is the Ted Stevens international airport and the darker grey stripe is the runway. The jets literally fly over the top of your head while they are taking off or landing right at the tip of the runway where the park is located. Awesomeness in a bucket.


No, really. Planes flying right over our heads.




We started on this little bluff right next to the parking lot. Beautiful light but VERY windy. Made for some squinty eyes and crazy hair for Jordy. We also happened to pick the windiest day of the year (slight exaggeration) out on a bluff next to the ocean which is always windy, so, you know...it was windy.



We left the bluff and started hiking down the steep trail towards the beach where we hoped to be protected by the wind and the bright sunshine. On our way down we happened upon this amazing piece of local art. It just occurred to me that I never checked it for swear words so, sorry if you find some.



At the bottom of the trail on the beach we found some rocks and driftwood. Oooh, and some smiles.

The above shot is my favorite from the day. :)



At high tide, the water comes right up to the cliff face and pushes debris against it. We found whole driftwood trees piled up there, as well as live ones growing sideways out of the cliff. I let the kids run around on the beach while I took some individual pictures.












We also spent some time down by the water.





You know I love me some bare feetsies.



We finished off the day with a hike back up to the parking lot. The wind had died down slightly so I wanted a couple more shots on the grass.





Oh, and just one more please please please! In the middle of the street.



After nearly two hours, during which my sweet babies tolerated me so patiently, we headed off to McDonalds to play at the playland. We were loaded and buckled into the car when I hauled Jake back out for just one more picture. He was TICKED but he cooperated.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! My favorite parts of these pics of your babies are Jake's eyes (lookout Alaska ladies!), Jordy's smile and Josh's dimples. Adorbs!