Friday, May 13, 2011

My Bubba

A couple of nights ago, we went on a family walk to church and as usual some of the teenage neighbor kids were playing on our basketball hoop as we were leaving. A few minutes down the road Jaycob confided in us that he really wanted to ask those kids if they know about God.

(take a moment, I know I needed to.)

He went on to say that he was scared to ask them because he might get embarrassed if they said, “of course we do!” as if it had been a stupid question. He was also worried about THEM being embarrassed if they didn’t know about Him.

As a Christian of many years I knew exactly how he felt. It is hard to have a spirit of boldness and even when we think we might be ready, the enemy inflicts us with doubts and fears and many choose to keep silent. I’m guilty of this down to my very core. Mostly because I fear I won’t have the right answers to the questions.

Darrin and I told Jaycob that we understood his fears and that we were SO PROUD that he even thought of it in the first place.

And then today happened.

Josh and I walked to the school to pick up the kids and we all walked back home together. By the time we got home, there were already a couple of kids playing at the hoop. I was just mindlessly checking the mail when I heard Jake’s voice ring out behind me.

“Can I ask you a question?”

I turned around to see that he was addressing the kids at the hoop.

(wait for it....)

“Do you guys know about God?”

I continued to meander towards the house, sifting unseeing through my mail stack, eyes full of tears and ears wide open.

I heard one of the kids answer, “yes,” and Jake responded with, “oh good. I just wanted to make sure.”

I escaped into the house to allow him full control over the discussion and immediately texted Darrin to tell him everything.

My son continually renders me speechless. He teaches me lessons every day. I am so stinking proud of this moment that I can’t stop the tears. That his concern for the kids’ knowing the Lord was more pressing than his own fear, pride, whatever...that is love. That is obedience. That is humility. That is everything that I fail at every day!

This moment. Never forget.

1 comment:

Raychel said...

He is such a special boy with such a big heart. I just wish I could squeeze him. I just wish I could be brave like him.