Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day


Rarely a day goes by when I don’t think of our military and the sacrifices our service men and women (and families!) have made for the rest of us. It partly comes from living in a military town where practically everyone I know is in the military or was in the military or is married to someone in the military. I know three families who are currently in the middle of a long deployment. And while I wish it were different (of course I do) I’m grateful that these people are willing to do what they do.

I also have a deep respect for their honor, courage and patriotism.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” This is an idea attributed to George Orwell though the direct quote is unverifiable. I absolutely believe it. I periodically hear people say, “violence breeds violence,” and I’d like to invite those people to get some perspective. 9/11 didn’t happen because we are a violent nation, it happened because we are a free nation. More specifically because we are a liberal one.

Okay, well, not sure where this soap box came from so I’m going to step off of it now and move right along.

Today I’m thinking of my grandfather, William Stewart. 1920 - 2004

Grandmpa joined the US Army in 1939 and was eventually stationed at Fort Lewis, where he met My grandma, Leora Elms. They were married November 17th, 1941.

He served as company commander in the signal corps in China, Burma and Inda (CBI) during WWII from 1943 - 1945.

I love this picture. This is my grandpa, in his early 20’s, fighting a war.




And lastly, thanks to this guy, I’ve been a Navy Seal fan since way before it was trendy.

This is Marcus Luttrell, former Navy Seal and all around super hero.


This is his book all about how he survived an impossible situation when nobody else did.


Marcus on the right. Danny Dietz on the left who was killed in action during Operation Redwing.

Oh and also, if you want to cry? Check out this blog post from The Pioneer Woman.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/blog/2011/05/memorial-day/

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for doing what you do.

No comments: