Sunday, February 15, 2009

Crafter's Smackdown

For the past several weeks, my girls and I have been secretly gearing up for the annual Crafter's Smackdown challenge held at the local Jewish Temple. We are not jewish but we are crafty and we were assured that craftiness was the only prerequesite. Although, after getting a look at some of the other teams, I'm not sure even THAT was required.



We spent weeks thinking of our team name and creating our crafty costumes. We called ourselves...The Glitteratti. It wasn't long though, before we were being referred to as "barbies." Do I detect a little resentment? I don't know why everyone was hating on us, we were out in the first round of competition. But we could talk some serious smack. In fact, once eliminated in round one, we let the smacktalk fly mercilessly...especially at the judges...



Yes, you heard me. We were eliminated in the FIRST ROUND. We missed by one point. Apparently our bribes weren't sufficient. The other teams had cash sticking out of their crafts for the judges. We stayed around and helped out another team, the God Squad. They ended up getting 2nd place.


One of the judges was Anchorage School District Superintendent, Carol Comeau. When we were trying to suck up to her you could hear us yell, "We love public school!" repeatedly. But when she shut us down, the truth came out. Excluding myself, all the other members of Team Glitteratti are in fact products of Anchorage Christian School, the school that my husband currently teaches at. Which is why I get to be included.

It was the most fun and the most I have laughed in a REALLY long time. Even being losers wasn't enough to get us down. We are excited for next year already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much wish I could have been there to enjoy this experience first hand. :) You crack me up.

Jen said...

I LOVE your outfits and I don't think I'd complain if someone called me a barbie. Wasn't there any part of you that relished in that name?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.