Friday, March 06, 2009

The Coffee Experiment

This is a little blurb that I posted in my livejournal and decided to also post in bloggedy land. Sorry if you read both and don't like reruns. Let's proceed...

Over the years I have finally come to accept my heritage and have developed a healthy addiction to coffee. I come from a long line of very thorough coffee drinkers. My brother started drinking straight black coffee in high school. My genetic tendency toward coffee developed later in life, at a cute little coffee station in the midst of a bustling Microsoft cafeteria. My first official coffee drink - other than fairly repulsive straight black coffee - was an almond latte. Hello lover.

And that's where it all started. Over the years my preferences have changed a tad. My drink of choice is now the Starbucks venti White Chocolate Mocha and while I haven't found a coffee drink that I would kick out of bed, my usual is OH.SO.GOOD.

However...

In honor of our failing economy, I have responsibly opted to stop drinking Starbucks coffee every day. Keep your hat on sixfiftytwo (my bff), it's purely a money saving tactic and has nothing to do with the love I will always feel for that green circle or the love I feel for you, it's lovely and gracious distributor.

Since I don't own a coffee pot - and have decided not to buy one until the experiment is complete - I decided to try the Folger's coffee singles. There were some in my cupboard from when my mom last visited two and a half years ago(MOM!). Fortunately I checked the expiration date before I tried it. Otherwise I expect the experiment would have been over before it had begun.

I purchased a fresh box and boiled some water in a sauce pan (because I don't own a kettle. Well, I did but I ruined it when I let it boil itself dry and fuse to my stove burner). I steeped the tea bag...er, coffee bag in my mug of hot water and gathered the other necessary ingredients. A generous three heaping spoonfuls of hot chocolate mix and some coconut creamer were added to the mix and the result was....

Good enough.

Money saving tactic #1 is now in full effect. In fact, since I recently ran out of Folgers I've decided to go even cheaper and bought the generic store brand coffee. Still good enough.

I'm still not sure if I will purchase a coffee pot, as I only drink one cup of coffee each morning (two on a rough one). At this point it just doesn't seem more economical.

The rub is, I may be single handedly responsible for the coming downfall of Starbucks. My heart just broke a little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you :-) I have to limit my stops at Starbucks to once or twice a month. And then I only do it so I can use my rewards card to get free wifi. If I sit in Austin's karate class for too long I start to panic at the amount of sparring they do. So I go to Starbucks and play on my laptop.

As good as the Starbucks white chocolate mocha is, Dutch Brothers is even better. As I live and breathe I promise you this is true. If you ever get to my neck of the woods I'll treat you!