Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Arctic Thunder 2012

Well, this post is a little after the fact.

 They started skywriting to advertise the coming Arctic Thunder Air Show a couple of days before it started.  We watched them from our front yard.

 LAST MONTH, we went to the Arctic Thunder Air Show on base.
I freaking love the air show.  I don’t know why but I’m obsessed with hot fighter pilots skillful combat flying.  We went on a Sunday because I was shooting a wedding on Saturday.  Grandma Diana took the kids on Saturday though, and spent 4 hours in traffic trying to drive 5 miles.

So, on Sunday, we drove out of our way to a different base entrance (no traffic!) and hopped the shuttle bus to the show.  They dropped us off at the far end, right in front of the Thunderbirds!

I was excited because I had brought some of my good camera gear with me this year.  I stuck with my 50D instead of my Mark II because it focuses faster and brought “Maximus” my 70-200 lens.  It worked great for air shots, but not so well for the crowded ground shots of my kids.  But it was the only lens I brought (because I didn’t want to dink around with lens changes or carry a ton of gear).

Fortunately, I also had my iPhone camera.
















Doobie isn’t much of an air show fan.  He really has a hard time with the loud noises.




F22 capabilities demonstration.  I can sit calmly and watch but inside I’m a freaking lunatic. Why is this so awesome?






Thunderbirds, about to start.

The crew.

Thunderbird pilots.


The process of getting into the planes before take-off is a complicated, precise military drill routine.  A really long one.

This is the Thunderbird’s official photographer.  His lens was a *little* more impressive than mine.


We watched from a grassy field which was PERFECT.



Yay earplugs!  Too bad they were USELESS.



Jordy hears them taking off!!







About mid way through the Thunderbird’s demonstration, Doobie had had enough.  Lots of crying.

No comments: