Thursday, September 10, 2009

Do It Yourself Adventures

We were recently given this neat, old, beat up locker stack. We weren't entirely sure what we were going to do with it, but I was pretty confident that I could make it cute and put it somewhere useful.


Originally, it had three vertical stacks of two lockers. One side was really beat up so Jake and Darrin dug out their tools and removed one section. This greatly increased the chances of it fitting somewhere useful in our house too.



After the broken section was completely removed, we scavenged some of the hardware off of it and fixed up the remaining section. I cleaned it thoroughly with soapy water, then out came the sandpaper and the Rustoleum metal primer.


After a day of drying, we started spray painting with Rustoleum Gloss Finish in a country-ish blue color.


It took about two and a half cans of spray paint to get good coverage and I didn't paint the inside. I think it turned out pretty darn cute!


This is sitting in our entryway, right inside the front door. Jakey hangs his backpack and coat in his locker every day after school.


Jake, Darrin and I each have our own locker and the two little ones share. It's going to be so useful when the snow comes and I have to sort big bulky piles of boots and other snow gear.

Hurray for DIY!

4 comments:

Bec said...

Wow, that came out great! What a handy idea near the front door!

Kaycee said...

That might be the coolest thing I have ever seen. Well, maybe not EVER... but in a good, long while.

I want lockers!

Michelle's Day said...

VERY creative!!

Raychel said...

Cool... I wish I had some hook-ups here. We could use a few of those in the garage.