Friday, December 04, 2009

Favorite Book(s) of 2009

I'm cruising right along at forgetting to post an entry for the So Long 2009 Challenge. Unfortunately, you won't get to hear about my favorite article of the year for yesterday's assignment. It was likely scrapbook related anyway and you wouldn't care. Today I get to tell you about the best book I read this year.

I read A LOT. I adore books. I usually start a new one every 36 to 48 hours. I love a lot of books but there are actually two series that I read this year that sucked me in completely.

The first is a series that I read for the first time a couple of years ago. In anticipation of the 7th book being released, I reread them all this summer. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is epic. I mean that very literally because each book is over 900 pages long and there are so many vibrant characters, plot twists that provoke intense anticipation, intrigue, mystery and details so, well... detailed that it just sucks you in completely. I found myself staying up until 2 or 3 in morning because I couldn' put them down. This series is historical fiction/fantansy that spans the milenia of sixteenth century Scotland during the Jacobite rebellion all the way through twentieth century World War II. Accidental time travel is the fantasy element. The series is written in first person (for the most part) and for some reason that style of writing has the ability to really draw me into the story. I think that is the main reason that I adore my second series as well.

Twilight

Stop groaning. I realize that the sheer popularity of the book should make me hate it automatically but I don't work that way. I loved these books before the movies came out and before Rpatz and Taylor were taking their shirts off onscreen. Not that I mind, but still.

A love story gets me every time and both of these series have a love story so captivating that they transend both time and imagination, respectively.

No comments: