Thursday, January 22, 2009

How To Make A Shirt

Most of you are aware that Darrin and I have our own little shirt "business" wherein we make shirts.

I am currently in the process of completing an order of shirts that is required by Saturday morning and since we just received our stock yesterday, I have very little time to complete 224 shirts.

This is how it's done:

Step 1 - Purchase a large quantity of shirts. In this case we needed to provide for 19 basketball teams in 4 different age groups, hence the multi-colored rainbow of products.



Step 2 - Preheat your handy dandy heat press (@ 375 degrees) and gather your ink design transfers that you painstakingly designed and had printed.



Step 3 - Lay out garment on heat press and center it squarely. You don't want a crooked design.



Step 4 - Pre press the shirt for about 3 seconds to remove wrinkles and preheat the shirt.



Step 5 - Place ink transfer design on shirt. Make sure design is centered and NOT UPSIDE DOWN. I lose more shirts that way. Also, make sure that all parts of the design are on the press and not hanging off the side. I also lose more shirts THAT way.



Step 6 - Close heat press and clamp down for 10 to 15 seconds.



Step 7 - Remove cover paper immediately (don't let it cool while you are trying to take a picture or else it is incredibly hard to remove).



Step 8 - VIOLA! A perfect specimen. Now repeat 224 times, then flip the shirts over and starting adding team numbers...224 times.


Ten hours later and we still aren't finished. In fact, one whole box of shirts has yet to arrive. Oh my aching back.

3 comments:

Run-alyn said...

Hey!!! Awesome Blog!!!! Thanks for coming to the crop! Fridays are our days.. so sign up for Fridays :) Next one on the 13th!

Tracer121 said...

Mwaaa haaa haaa. Now, thanks to you, I can open my OWN t-shirt business.

Jen said...

You are one BUSY mom. My hurt just reading the directions. And, I'm glad I am not the only 30 year old who watches Clifford.